Bilbao (Basque festival), Spain 2023 - 2
Continuing on with the travel, regarding disabilities and getting around, at crossings, all the curbs are slopped, so for wheelchair users, this shouldn't be an issue. But as I have previously mentioned, there aren't too many of the noise making crossings, so blind or partially sighted disabled people may struggle a little more. That said, as also previously mentioned, there are no boy racers here, so even if you were just to walk out into the traffic, you'd probably be okay (not that I'll be testing the theory!).
Another thing re travel, the main street in Bilbao revolves around a Plaza (they have lots of these) called Moyua (this sounds like Moy like in Boy but with an M, then 'you', then the word 'a'). So if you get yourselves here, you'll be able to get yourself pretty much anywhere. Most places are within 15 minutes walk of Plaza Moyua tbh.
Public transport
There are buses, trams, and the subway in Bilbao (and of course taxis). I haven't used the trams or the subway as I'm rather out of town and they don't run to here. But I'm told they are the best ways to get around the city. In regards to the buses, there seems to be 2 types of buses, green ones called Bizkaia which seem to go out of the city as well as going around the city itself. You can find their routes on Google maps when trying to get somewhere. Then there are the red Bilbobus buses. These are the ones I've been using as they run near my hostel. The cost seems to be no matter where I go €1.35. Their routes don't show on Google maps though. I don't know if the green buses are the same price as the red ones. The red buses are air conditioned.
Disabilities
In regards to the feasibility of doing the festival or travelling in Bilbao/Spain with a disability, I can only speak to my own disabilities and then the very obvious disabilities I've been able to observe. I have mobility issues due to MS, and cannot stand for long periods. So getting a seat is important for me. It's fair to say that they go pretty quickly at things. I'd be there at least 30 minutes in advance if you want to guarantee a seat. The only other disability I've actively observed are wheelchair users. So this is definitely doable as they are there. Also, there are parents with buggies around getting about okay.
Weather
It's currently summer here and it's boiling! It was 36 degrees (about 102 F) yesterday and is 33 degrees (about 96 F) today. This is a heatwave summer, but they seem to be having them more and more often. So generally speaking, if coming during the summer, I wouldn't pack a lot! It's been 11pm and I've been outside in shorts and T shirt.
Culture
They definitely are proud to be Basque. Everybody whose anybody is at this festival - it's manic busy, so if you're afraid of crowds, don't come here! It seems to be a thing that all the black African migrants work the street corners selling Basque tunics. And they're very popular - amongst locals as well as tourists (I wouldn't say there are actually that many tourists here for the festival). In regards to food, obviously there is Tapas which has to be tried! And I can definitely recommend. I had this amazing BBQ chicken wrap one. Then the rest of their diet seems to largely be meat and fish. So vegetarians will struggle here. But the food is very tasty. I had some lovely Calamari (Rabas in Spanish). They are quite forthright / are not shy about coming forward, so you will just get walked into if you don't move. They seem more laid back and accepting though - I was watching a guy flyering and unlike in the UK where just about everyone would blank him, here I'd say around 70% took a flyer. In regards to the street vendors, they don't approach you, not unless you're hovering, and then they might enquire. For those not a fan of bull fighting (myself included) I haven't witnessed any or seen any advertised. The closest thing they seem to have is something called the 'Fire Bull' - a fake fire breathing bull. There's Basque sports, dancing, music and street theatre and much more. There's also an awful lot of partying! There's definitely something for the families with massive giants walking about the place, but it gets very grown up later on at night with lots of drinking. Re. Siestas, I always had in my mind that these were in the middle of the day. Seemingly not. The hottest part of the day seems to be between 5pm and 8pm, and it's roughly between these time that you'll find restaurants almost completely close down. Shops still largely stay open, and you can still go and get drinks at bars. But food service stops. So if you're at the festival and going to something in the evening (often starts at 7pm) you'll either need to eat early or late.
Okay, I'll add more later
MIST
Comments
Post a Comment