Bilbao (Basque festival), Spain 2023

So I'm in Bilbao, Spain for a few days for the Basque festival here.  The festival is called Aste Nagusia.  It has it's own app and you can use the app to find a programme in your own language.  It's been a long time since I've done any travelling owing to the wonderful world that is COVID-19!  But this is my first venture back out into the world again afterwards.  Re. COVID, there's no compulsory vaccinations or proof thereof required for Spain.

Language

They speak both Basque and Spanish (yes Basque is a totally separate language to Spanish).  Re. Basque language - it's an ancient language as are the Basque people, it has totally different routes to Spanish.  It was banned during the time of the dictator Franco.  But it is now widely spoken again and is even taught in schools.  What people here don't speak though normally is English or any other language.  So be prepared to know some Basque/Spanish.  People are friendly though, and as a virtual none speaker of either, people have really tried to help me where they can.  A phrasebook would be a good investment and I've found Google Translate very helpful.

Travel

They drive on the right here.  Traffic lights are both up high and at driver height.  They seem to have lights every 50 yards or so, so cars are constantly stopping.  These are usually pedestrian crossings rather than lights themselves.  I'll go into types of pedestrian crossings shortly.  Maybe because there are these crossings so often drivers drive pretty slowly here.  But I find some of the roads and signage a bit confusing.  So generally speaking I think as long as you do your research on the road rules and signage before you come, and are the patient sort (not in a rush to get places), it's a pretty okay place to drive.

Crossings

So these are all pedestrian crossings that I've seen with zebra lines down marking them.  There are 6 types.  The first just goes from red (do not walk) to green (walk) and back again.  The second has red for don't walk, a timer on it counting down to when you'll be able to go, then it'll turn green for walk, then it'll flash green meaning don't start crossing / it's about to change red, then it'll go red again.  The next will have the same red with the timer, but then will have a green one that has a timer counting down to when it will turn back to red.  The last 3 are the same as the first 3, but they beep when you can walk for blind people.  I've not come across many of them though.

I have to go now but I will add more later

MIST

Comments