Cancun, Mexico 2018 - General

Greetings,

So, I'm a lone mid-30's female traveller with various disabilities. I only get to do the odd bit of travelling between university and other commitments.  What I write will of course be based on my experience as a single traveller, albeit limited. However, I hope some things I say may be relevant to whoever the traveller.


Mexico. 

Some basics.  


DON'T expect people to know English here. The majority do not.  Spanish is the language of Mexico and it's used. 

I'd suggest practicing all the basics with someone for a good week beforehand, both saying and understanding them (yes/no; please/thank you; hello/goodbye; all the numbers up to 100 - there's a pattern; basic questions like can I have the bill please or where is....).  Then I'd take a good phrase book and perhaps a dictionary along with you. 

You will get by if like me you didn't learn a word of it.  But it's led to many confusing moments and hours spent wondering what on earth I should do. Knowing some Spanish will make your lives and awful lot easier.


Pack light! 

Okay, so 2 points here.

Firstly, I'm here in December and it's still shorts and strappy top weather. You do not need bulky clothes in that suitcase.

At most, bring 1 warmer garment in case you get a cold night (this also hasn't happened but I'm told it can) a light cardie or 2 to go round your shoulders on a breezy day or for early morning, one pair of jeans/trousers, and perhaps a waterproof.  Everything else can be shorts and T-shirts no matter the time of year.

An additional space saving investment is to buy a trekking towel.  These pack down into absolutely tiny sizes compared to normal towel, and whilst at first view would appear to not be very absorbant, to me they seem to be better than normal towels. Also, if you leave they out of their bag laid out for a while, they'll be dry within 1-2 hours and usable within 1.

The 2nd point is that don't panic trying to pack things like shampoo, sunscreen, deodorant etc.. You can easily get hold of all of these items (including brands) over in Mexico.

Included here is the point that hair driers and alike serve no use.  Your hair will be dry from the heat in next to no time. Leave it at home. 


It's safe if you're sensible  

So this one's a bit of a no brainer on some levels, yet many people I know hear and tell horror stories of Mexico.  I'm staying in the downtown part of Cancun whilst most people stay on the hotel strip and often don't venture downtown. However, my experience of downtown Cancun is that it's very friendly and safe.  

You must be sensible (no matter where you are) - don't flaunt your money or phone etc..., keep to the main streets where possible, carry things in a bag you can keep your eye on the pockets of and not say a rucksack. However, these are just 'common' sense things. 

My experience of the safeness of Mexico can only relate to Cancun and not to other places. But my general take on the Mexican people is that they are very hard working, passionate and friendly people, so I wouldn't expect too much difference. There will, like every country, always be the rough spots and no go areas. 


Buses 

Right, so there's local in Cancun buses and buses which basically take you everywhere else. 

For the local buses, to catch one you just stick your arm out.  You can catch quite a few of them, including the R-1 that takes you to the beach, from Av Tulum (a big main street in Cancun). The cost is just 12 pesos.  As a very rough guide, 100 pesos works out to be about £4, so it'd be about 50p.

For out of town buses, you need to head to the bus station (pretty centrally located so an easy walk if you're in downtown).  From there, a company called ADO does the buses. They have a website so you can check out journey destinations, prices, and lengths. 


I am going to end here for now as my bus is due any minute.  But I will be back with more Mexico travel tips very soon

MIST 


Comments