Cancun, Mexico - 2018. General 2
Continuing from the basics of my last post, here are a few further suggestions.
Driving.
So they drive on the right in Mexico. As for driving style, I'd say it's pushy - they're not soft about getting out of junctions, it's like spaghetti junction at every junction. They use their horns a lot.
But it is safe driving. You do not see boy racers or indeed any racers in Mexico. People drive at a steady speed.
I'd say if you're going to drive here, you need to be confident, patient, and like driving (it gets very busy at peak times), but it's doable.
There is a little bit of information on lights at the bottom of the Crossing section below.
Crossing busy/main roads
Firstly, their roads are nicely designed with a bank in the middle, so if you're not going to use a crossing, you only need to cross one side at a time.
However, at regular intervals you will see what look like large (length wise) sleeping policemen. These are in fact their main type of crossing. You'll never be too far from one, and they cut straight through the central bank so anyone with mobility issues will be fine.
The other crossing that I've seen is like the Pelican crossing at traffic lights. Here you don't have to press a button for the crossing, it just changes every so often. When it starts flashing green, DON'T start crossing (really). It needs to be solid green.
The lights themselves change (for go) in the usual way (red, red + amber, green), however when it is time to stop they initially flash green (a warning), then go red.
Immunisations
There are no essential vaccinations for the region that Cancun is in, but I CANNOT vouch for the rest of Mexico. HOWEVER -
Recommended vaccinations are ensuring you are up to date with your -
Hep A
Hep B
Polio, Tetanus, and Diphtheria
Typhoid (this one particularly)
Regarding the Typhoid immunisation, it should perhaps go without saying to drink bottled drinks (tea & coffee etc... should be okay as the water has been boiled).
Now depending on where you are going and what you are planning to do you may want to consider the following immunisations
Malaria
Rabies
I am planning a day trip down to Belize, and most of Belize is high risk for malaria. If it wasn't for the fact that I am going to the one place that isn't high risk (Belize City), I would need to take anti-malarials. So ask the question before you go.
There are stray dogs here. There are also jungle areas with monkeys and such like animals here. So if you have kids and think they may be the sort to want to pet the dogs or if you're considering a visit to a jungle area then think about Rabies.
Taking an insect repellent is a good idea.
As I say, none are compulsory, but most in truth are sensible.
Cultural differences
So I've found what feels to me as a westerner to be a contradiction. I'm in a place mixed in with the locals so get to see some of their everyday life.
The particular contradiction I refer to is that you'll see refuge sacks or even just plastic bags everywhere on the pavements - I've even seen plastic bags with rubbish in it hung on a telephone pole like decorations!
However, you go inside anywhere and it's spotless. As I referred to in my previous post they are really hard workers, all of whom I've come across (to speak to) so far doing a minimum of a 12 hour day and with a smile.
The other major thing to note is that other than perhaps at your hotel (and that's not guaranteed), toilets here expect you to put your used toilet paper in the bin next to the toilet and not down it.
Some places have toilets where you stand over them (they are a hole in the ground) rather than a seated toiled. As I haven't been to such a place yet I can't comment on what they do for disabled people.
Another cultural norm here is the forwardness with which they do business. Take it for granted that they will approach you if you walk past their stall/into their shop.
Having said this, whilst one or two of them are a little over zealous, the majority know when you really mean 'no thank you' and let you be. You just have to be firm (not harsh or nasty though).
The flip side of this is that everything is up for negotiation. HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE. They will overcharge you if you don't. Remember, 100 pesos is roughly the same as £4 (likely similar in dollars and euros), so ask yourself what you'd pay for it back home and come up with a top price.
Food is obviously another difference, however I will talk about food separately. For now these are my major observations, but I will add more as I come across them.
Mobility - getting about (including a disability)
The first thing I've noticed is that the curbs are really high (I couldn't resist jumping off one like a kid!) and I haven't seen any slopping parts.
This will of course cause issues for wheelchair users. However, people do walk on the roads here so this would be a potential solution - then use a crossing (the sleeping policemen type referred to above, they are slipped for the cars to get over) to get onto the pavement if you were by yourself. It's not ideal but it could be done. Cars don't go fast here.
For people with less severe mobility issues, the curbs will probably be the biggest issue. There are good bus services so you don't have to walk miles to places, and if you plan your route, you will also find some nice parks with benches to sit for a while.
My best advice for anyone with milder mobility problems would be to bring a walking aid. This will be good for days out, particularly if you join an organised tour of somewhere when you have to stay with the group.
Food
So contrary to popular belief, most stomach issues (including mine today) are actually from eating too much of the rich Mexican food. Consider yourself warned.
This I've discovered is amazingly easy to do. Real Mexican food (as opposed to what I get back home in the UK) is delicious.
I don't like spicy food. The most spicy Indian I can manage is a Korma 😂! So I was terrified I wouldn't be able to eat anything (I can't eat Mexican back home).
But everything I've tried so far has been really very mild but very flavoursome. It seems spices in Mexico are actually used to flavour and not to burn you tongue/throat/stomach 🙂.
That said, because they clearly use these herbs and spices to flavour their food, their food is very rich. So take it easy, eat light or you'll end up with a sore stomach like myself (I was trying everything yesterday).
So I think that's all for the moment, I will post again shortly.
MIST
Driving.
So they drive on the right in Mexico. As for driving style, I'd say it's pushy - they're not soft about getting out of junctions, it's like spaghetti junction at every junction. They use their horns a lot.
But it is safe driving. You do not see boy racers or indeed any racers in Mexico. People drive at a steady speed.
I'd say if you're going to drive here, you need to be confident, patient, and like driving (it gets very busy at peak times), but it's doable.
There is a little bit of information on lights at the bottom of the Crossing section below.
Crossing busy/main roads
Firstly, their roads are nicely designed with a bank in the middle, so if you're not going to use a crossing, you only need to cross one side at a time.
However, at regular intervals you will see what look like large (length wise) sleeping policemen. These are in fact their main type of crossing. You'll never be too far from one, and they cut straight through the central bank so anyone with mobility issues will be fine.
The other crossing that I've seen is like the Pelican crossing at traffic lights. Here you don't have to press a button for the crossing, it just changes every so often. When it starts flashing green, DON'T start crossing (really). It needs to be solid green.
The lights themselves change (for go) in the usual way (red, red + amber, green), however when it is time to stop they initially flash green (a warning), then go red.
Immunisations
There are no essential vaccinations for the region that Cancun is in, but I CANNOT vouch for the rest of Mexico. HOWEVER -
Recommended vaccinations are ensuring you are up to date with your -
Hep A
Hep B
Polio, Tetanus, and Diphtheria
Typhoid (this one particularly)
Regarding the Typhoid immunisation, it should perhaps go without saying to drink bottled drinks (tea & coffee etc... should be okay as the water has been boiled).
Now depending on where you are going and what you are planning to do you may want to consider the following immunisations
Malaria
Rabies
I am planning a day trip down to Belize, and most of Belize is high risk for malaria. If it wasn't for the fact that I am going to the one place that isn't high risk (Belize City), I would need to take anti-malarials. So ask the question before you go.
There are stray dogs here. There are also jungle areas with monkeys and such like animals here. So if you have kids and think they may be the sort to want to pet the dogs or if you're considering a visit to a jungle area then think about Rabies.
Taking an insect repellent is a good idea.
As I say, none are compulsory, but most in truth are sensible.
Cultural differences
So I've found what feels to me as a westerner to be a contradiction. I'm in a place mixed in with the locals so get to see some of their everyday life.
The particular contradiction I refer to is that you'll see refuge sacks or even just plastic bags everywhere on the pavements - I've even seen plastic bags with rubbish in it hung on a telephone pole like decorations!
However, you go inside anywhere and it's spotless. As I referred to in my previous post they are really hard workers, all of whom I've come across (to speak to) so far doing a minimum of a 12 hour day and with a smile.
The other major thing to note is that other than perhaps at your hotel (and that's not guaranteed), toilets here expect you to put your used toilet paper in the bin next to the toilet and not down it.
Some places have toilets where you stand over them (they are a hole in the ground) rather than a seated toiled. As I haven't been to such a place yet I can't comment on what they do for disabled people.
Another cultural norm here is the forwardness with which they do business. Take it for granted that they will approach you if you walk past their stall/into their shop.
Having said this, whilst one or two of them are a little over zealous, the majority know when you really mean 'no thank you' and let you be. You just have to be firm (not harsh or nasty though).
The flip side of this is that everything is up for negotiation. HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE. They will overcharge you if you don't. Remember, 100 pesos is roughly the same as £4 (likely similar in dollars and euros), so ask yourself what you'd pay for it back home and come up with a top price.
Food is obviously another difference, however I will talk about food separately. For now these are my major observations, but I will add more as I come across them.
Mobility - getting about (including a disability)
The first thing I've noticed is that the curbs are really high (I couldn't resist jumping off one like a kid!) and I haven't seen any slopping parts.
This will of course cause issues for wheelchair users. However, people do walk on the roads here so this would be a potential solution - then use a crossing (the sleeping policemen type referred to above, they are slipped for the cars to get over) to get onto the pavement if you were by yourself. It's not ideal but it could be done. Cars don't go fast here.
For people with less severe mobility issues, the curbs will probably be the biggest issue. There are good bus services so you don't have to walk miles to places, and if you plan your route, you will also find some nice parks with benches to sit for a while.
My best advice for anyone with milder mobility problems would be to bring a walking aid. This will be good for days out, particularly if you join an organised tour of somewhere when you have to stay with the group.
Food
So contrary to popular belief, most stomach issues (including mine today) are actually from eating too much of the rich Mexican food. Consider yourself warned.
This I've discovered is amazingly easy to do. Real Mexican food (as opposed to what I get back home in the UK) is delicious.
I don't like spicy food. The most spicy Indian I can manage is a Korma 😂! So I was terrified I wouldn't be able to eat anything (I can't eat Mexican back home).
But everything I've tried so far has been really very mild but very flavoursome. It seems spices in Mexico are actually used to flavour and not to burn you tongue/throat/stomach 🙂.
That said, because they clearly use these herbs and spices to flavour their food, their food is very rich. So take it easy, eat light or you'll end up with a sore stomach like myself (I was trying everything yesterday).
So I think that's all for the moment, I will post again shortly.
MIST
Comments
Post a Comment